Skip to main content

Stop The Press - Injured Runner Runs Again!

I did it.... I walked 2 miles, took a day off and then ... I ran... woo hoo.. I ran a mile. I was starting to feel a little pain by the end, and I felt a little pain with walking afterward. So I immediately iced and kept compression on the entire day.

I was able to walk yesterday without pain which was a great sign that I hadn't overdone it. I took a rest day yesterday. And then today I walked a half mile, ran a mile at 10 minute pace and walked another half mile. So that's 2 miles for today. 

I didn't want to do the walk/run thing for my recovery plan, but after talking it over with my trainer, I decided to heed  her advice and follow her plan. And I'm glad that I did. Today I wanted to keep running when my 1 mile was up, but I followed the plan; switched it to a walk, and  I believe this will be the best way to get me back to where I want to be without re-injury. Of course I still have to listen to my body. If something hurts I need to stop. But it sure feels good to get on the treadmill again. 

I haven't tried an outside walk/run yet. I wanted to see how my calf responds to softer surfaces first. My treadmill has the flex-deck, and it's usually easier on my legs. But I do plan to get outside this upcoming week. 

All smiles here :) 

Lil Man and I celebrated with some fro yo.



If you have a moment, please give me a click to give me a vote. I'd really appreciate your vote. 
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

Comments

  1. Congrats! I gotta try that one day. I'm still too scared to try running again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I"m glad I'm doing the walk/run. I think in the long run it will be best.

      Delete
  2. Hey fellow injured runner! Catch me up to speed. What happened to your calf?
    I hurt my butt/high hamstring about 6 months ago and as of today it is still not better. I go to Physical Therapy, but she thinks I need a cortizone shot in the hiney. OUCH haha.. anyway, I was injured when trying to do intervals of walking and sprinting. I was told not to go over a mile, too, and I feel ya! It's hard to stop when your body tell you it wants to keep going! I hope you feel better each day! I'd love to keep up with you and see how your progress goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll attach a post that will catch you up.. but the cliff notes version is that I have a mild tear in my calf. (Just finished a marathon Nov 10) Uh oh to your injury.. hope it gets better soon. 6 months is a long time! http://mrsglassrunning.blogspot.com/2013/12/i-took-step-i-felt-pull-and-then-pain.html

      Delete
  3. I love to read "injured runner runs again!" Even one mile feels amazing!

    What number is your blog? I'd be happy to vote for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All you have to do is click on the 'vote for me' and it will automatically give me a vote. My ranking number changes daily depending on how many votes I get.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self Care Is Not Selfish It's Necessary

It's not selfish to take care of yourself. It's not selfish to take care of yourself. It's not selfish to take care of yourself. And I'll say it just one more time in case you didn't hear me. It's not selfish to take care of yourself. I have found through experience that when I'm not taking care of myself, not only do I suffer but my family suffers. So ditch the mom guilt and take the time that you need! I have a tendency to keep pushing my needs aside until I reach a breaking point. We've had a very busy fun summer so far. However, I've struggled to get some quality ' me ' time to decompress. I'll spare you the meltdown that ensued. But the reality check that followed prompted me to take action.

Running My Life

Wow, has it really been 2 years since my last post? I suppose that I allowed life to get in the way. For any faithful blog readers, I apologize. Although, I'm not sure how many people actually read blogs anymore. I think most people use other social media platforms.  (By the way, drop by and say hi on Insta. )  But for some reason, each year when I pay for my google domain, I can't seem to let it go. As silly as it sounds, this little space is mine. And lately I've been struggling with ownership and acceptance. And my domain renewal was a not so gentle reminder that I have a voice .  Seriously, you'd think by 48 that I'd have this figured out - nope - apparently not. However, I am wise enough to know that we have a choice to allow situations to harms us or make us stronger. I'm choosing to let this mid-life quandary make me stronger. And because of this, I'm setting goals, taking charge, and reexamining priorities.  Movin' on... 

When The Planner In You Must Be Flexible

In case you haven’t figured this out by now, I’m a planner. I know - shocker right?!? :) So although I love substitute teaching, it’s making the planner in me anxious. And it’s been reeking havoc on my workouts. Basically the morning of or maybe the night before, I find out if I’m working. So my day ( that I thought I had planned ) can be turned upside down in an instant. But, truthfully, isn’t that really the same with everyone?