Skip to main content

Crabby Injured Runner Goes To Spin Class

It wasn't my intention - spin class today. My plan was to plug along on the bike out on the gym floor, then maybe row a little, and do a little upper body work. I had causually mentioned to a lady in the locker room if she was going to spin class and did it normally fill up. She said yes to both. I told her thanks. I had planned to just use the bike on the floor, but I thought I might come to spin some morning. 

So I was quite surprised as I was out on the gym floor, struggling (literally) to get my bike set up. Why must it be so complicated to simply move a seat up and down and forward and back? I mean really, it shouldn't require that much work, especially at 5:45 in the morning. But she comes over and says the class is full, but her friend didn't make it. So there is a seat by her. Come to class today. 


Um.. ok.. I muttered (so not what I intended to do today). 


Class had begun, but thankfully it wasn't too hard to set up this bike. I started off ok, pacing myself. I mean it's an hour long class. 

glancing at my watch - you have got to be kidding me. It's just been 5 minutes. I've only been doing this for 5 minutes. 

The instructor shouts out the next set... I hear... 7 for 20 seconds, recovery, 8 for 20, recovery.. at this point I tune it out.. this is just going to be about survival. ... The next song begins...

Is this hell? I'm in hell. I think this is hell... Breath, just breathe... Slow your pace... If I slow my pace I'm going to actually stop... Why is it so hot in here? 

I hear - recovery, back off to  a 2 or a 3. I turn the knob. Oh snap, I'm already using the bike practically with no resistance.

It burns. It burns. My quads! 

Great job!  Half way through this set. Half way through the class. How is it possible for time to move so slow? Remember labor. Remember the pain passes. It will eventually end. 

A nice older lady leans over "Hun, is this your first time?" I lean over (in between gasps and say) "No, I've done a spin class before. It's just been awhile". She gives me a sweet smile with a there there look of it's all gonna be ok in her eyes. I wonder if it's because I look like a buck of water has been poured over my head. Or maybe that my sprint pace is now the same as my recovery pace. Or maybe it was the dry heaves that tipped her off. 

Finally class was over. As I was trying to leave the room on my wobbly legs, I fell into the wall thermostat. Oh yes I did. :)


So after Spin today, this crabby injured runner wasn't so crabby. It wasn't running. But it was a challenge. And it's something that I would definitely like to improve with. And since I won't be running for the next couple of weeks, maybe the rest of the year, it looks like I'll be doing more spin. 

In fact, it's probably the lack of cross training that has led me to this injury. So once I am finally well, I intend to be faithful with the cross training. 

So, what do you do for cross training? 


Share this on Facebook?





Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

If you like my blog, or this post, please take a moment to share it with friends. As they say, sharing is caring :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self Care Is Not Selfish It's Necessary

It's not selfish to take care of yourself. It's not selfish to take care of yourself. It's not selfish to take care of yourself. And I'll say it just one more time in case you didn't hear me. It's not selfish to take care of yourself. I have found through experience that when I'm not taking care of myself, not only do I suffer but my family suffers. So ditch the mom guilt and take the time that you need! I have a tendency to keep pushing my needs aside until I reach a breaking point. We've had a very busy fun summer so far. However, I've struggled to get some quality ' me ' time to decompress. I'll spare you the meltdown that ensued. But the reality check that followed prompted me to take action.

Running My Life

Wow, has it really been 2 years since my last post? I suppose that I allowed life to get in the way. For any faithful blog readers, I apologize. Although, I'm not sure how many people actually read blogs anymore. I think most people use other social media platforms.  (By the way, drop by and say hi on Insta. )  But for some reason, each year when I pay for my google domain, I can't seem to let it go. As silly as it sounds, this little space is mine. And lately I've been struggling with ownership and acceptance. And my domain renewal was a not so gentle reminder that I have a voice .  Seriously, you'd think by 48 that I'd have this figured out - nope - apparently not. However, I am wise enough to know that we have a choice to allow situations to harms us or make us stronger. I'm choosing to let this mid-life quandary make me stronger. And because of this, I'm setting goals, taking charge, and reexamining priorities.  Movin' on... 

When The Planner In You Must Be Flexible

In case you haven’t figured this out by now, I’m a planner. I know - shocker right?!? :) So although I love substitute teaching, it’s making the planner in me anxious. And it’s been reeking havoc on my workouts. Basically the morning of or maybe the night before, I find out if I’m working. So my day ( that I thought I had planned ) can be turned upside down in an instant. But, truthfully, isn’t that really the same with everyone?