Skip to main content

#FitFridayConfessions - I Stopped Counting Calories

This past year I've tried tracking my calories, restricting food, detox teas, nothing 'too extreme', but the reality is I've gained weight instead of losing weight. I told myself that I really hadn't put on that much weight, but when it came time to try on clothes, the reality was in the seams - the bulging seams. Nothing fit - nothing in my entire closet. I found one pair of pants that I could still button - and they were snug. It was time that I stopped pretending that the 'scale' wasn't correct. The truth is, I have gained 10-12lbs over the past year. And my obsessing over the weight has caused  me to put on more weight.

For me, personally, calorie counting made it worse. Don't get me wrong, counting calories and using calorie counting apps work great for a lot of people. However, I am the exception. I would see calories over nutrition. An apple with peanut butter can equal the same amount of calories as a serving of chips. Of course the apple with peanut butter is healthier, but I would sometimes go for the chips instead. I stayed within my calories. I would be 'out of calories' for the day but wanted a healthy snack. I wouldn't eat the snack. Or I would be over my calories, and since I've blown it anyway, I'd eat whatever I wanted. So, calorie counting did not help me. Instead, it pushed me toward a borderline eating disorder.
I watched an HBO documentary called Thin. It was heart breaking, but also a little scary because some of the things I heard them say, I too had said.

So, as I turned 42 this week, I have dedicated
this year to being my 'fitness' year. One definition of fitness is "the condition of being physically fit and healthy". And each week, I plan to update my progress to help keep me accountable, but also to help anyone else who might could use an accountability buddy.

This week, I have stopped counting calories. I'm not obsessing over every bite of food that I put into my mouth. I've enjoyed sweets (in moderation), and I made healthy choices.

I am making a conscious effort to cut out 80% of processed food out of my life for me and my family. I know it takes time to overcome bad habits, and I know it won't happen overnight. I know that it's easy to slip back into old routines. I know that I have to be patient with myself.

I also know that I want a change. I know that I have to make changes to see change.

I am not weighing myself for at least 3 months. Why? Because as soon as I think I've lost weight, the scale doesn't always reflect that. I will get discouraged, and revert back to old habits.

I know change will come. It just might not happen as fast I want it to, but it will come.

So each week, I will update you on my #FitFridayConfessions with how I'm doing / how my week went.

So here is Week 1 of #FitFridayConfessions

Monday: I ate a piece of Peach Slab Pie from the preschool cafe. The rest of the day was real unprocessed food except I had 3 bites of cupcake before dinner. I did a little upper body strength training that morning before I took Lil Man to preschool. I'm not 100% pleased with my eating, but you have to start somewhere.

Tuesday: I skipped my morning run which sort of threw off my day. Ran errands with Lil Man and had 3/4 of a Soft Pretzel from Target. The rest of the day was clean except for Dinner I had a few too many tacos. I also got in a 30 min walk.

Wednesday: My BIRTHDAY! :) So today's food wasn't necessarily on the 'clean' side. I had ice cream, Mexican food, and ice cream cake. I enjoyed my birthday with zero guilt. For exercise I did an hour of personal training, some upper body weights, and 40 minutes of the elliptical.



Thursday:  Most of today's food was clean! I went to Chocolate World with my son and a friend and her family. I did eat a fun size Kit Kat, and a few bites of cupcake. But overall, today was mostly unprocessed food. Normally I would have just eaten whatever and everything without considering alternatives. Today, I chose a healthy salad with apples and grapes for lunch. My after dinner treat was a small piece of ice cream cake from my birthday. I got in a half hour hilly walk.

I will continue next week starting with a tip plus my #FitFridayConfessions from Friday through Thursday.  Journaling this for the week has been very helpful to help me stay accountable. Knowing that others would also see this has helped.

Follow me on my journey to a healthier version of me!



I'm A Top Health & Fitness Blogger @ Top Mommy Blogs - Please Click To Give Me A Vote 


If you like my blog, or this post, please take a moment to share it with friends. As they say, sharing is caring :)

Share this on Facebook?

Comments

  1. Your blog name is my favorite one yet!!
    Story of my life!
    Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I love your name also! Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Running My Life

Wow, has it really been 2 years since my last post? I suppose that I allowed life to get in the way. For any faithful blog readers, I apologize. Although, I'm not sure how many people actually read blogs anymore. I think most people use other social media platforms.  (By the way, drop by and say hi on Insta. )  But for some reason, each year when I pay for my google domain, I can't seem to let it go. As silly as it sounds, this little space is mine. And lately I've been struggling with ownership and acceptance. And my domain renewal was a not so gentle reminder that I have a voice .  Seriously, you'd think by 48 that I'd have this figured out - nope - apparently not. However, I am wise enough to know that we have a choice to allow situations to harms us or make us stronger. I'm choosing to let this mid-life quandary make me stronger. And because of this, I'm setting goals, taking charge, and reexamining priorities.  Movin' on... 

Self Care Is Not Selfish It's Necessary

It's not selfish to take care of yourself. It's not selfish to take care of yourself. It's not selfish to take care of yourself. And I'll say it just one more time in case you didn't hear me. It's not selfish to take care of yourself. I have found through experience that when I'm not taking care of myself, not only do I suffer but my family suffers. So ditch the mom guilt and take the time that you need! I have a tendency to keep pushing my needs aside until I reach a breaking point. We've had a very busy fun summer so far. However, I've struggled to get some quality ' me ' time to decompress. I'll spare you the meltdown that ensued. But the reality check that followed prompted me to take action.

When The Planner In You Must Be Flexible

In case you haven’t figured this out by now, I’m a planner. I know - shocker right?!? :) So although I love substitute teaching, it’s making the planner in me anxious. And it’s been reeking havoc on my workouts. Basically the morning of or maybe the night before, I find out if I’m working. So my day ( that I thought I had planned ) can be turned upside down in an instant. But, truthfully, isn’t that really the same with everyone?